Gatsby Glitz and Glam

Friday 31 May 2013


As a lover of all things vintage, with the 1920's being a favourite, I was definitely excited about the release of The Great Gatsby. It may sound silly but films are my escape and a trip to the cinema is a chance to enter another wonderful world. Many of us are attracted to the glitz and glam of the era of decadence, the extravagant glamorous lifestyle and flapper fashion. So after seeing the film last week, I decided I just had to write about it as the era is all about letting go, having fun, being fearless, confident and happy!


Carey Mulligan, who plays Daisy in the film, featured in a Gatsby themed Vogue cover shoot and these shots of her in designer dresses exude the luxurious and elegant side of 1920's fashion. It's all about shiny embroidery, fun flapper dresses, feathers and silk. These designer beauties and Tiffany & Co jewels worn in the film aren't the only options, many high street shops such as Topshop and Monsoon have been inspired by the film's release.


Everyone who's seen the film will all say the same thing... Please can I attend one of Gatsby's crazy glittering parties? The Great Gatsby may be fictional but we can at least dream about the jazz era, the careless, spontaneous and captivating world of the super-rich. The characters can be seen sipping on cocktails or lots of bubbly from vintage champagne saucers, these are officially on my wish list! They can be purchased from various places such as John Lewis or plastic versions are available online if you plan on throwing a wild party. 


I loved the glimpse of Gatsby's picture-perfect afternoon tea with scrumptious looking macaroons (I'm a little bit obsessed with afternoon tea, I do believe in the magic of a good cup of tea). 



For your own moment of luxury, Harvey Nichols in London are offering their own Roaring 20's Afternoon Tea (available until 31st July). Indulge in summer fruit scones with clotted cream and champagne jam, a white chocolate and coconut pearl macaroon (in a jewellery box, yes a jewellery box), peanut butter cigars... I am yet to take a little trip to Harvey Nichols for this selection of quirky treats but they do look very tempting.


I definitely think I was born in the wrong era...

No comments :

Post a Comment